jeremy via OfficeKB.com

Default isolate numbers in a cell

I need to eliminate all the characters in a cell that aren't numbers
(letters and punctuation).
(And put in a helper column or before an IF statement.)

Thanks.

Jeremy

jeremy via OfficeKB.com

The numbers are all sequential. The text/puctuation are before or after....
No pattern other than that...

Peo Sjoblom

As long as the the numbers are grouped this will work

=--MID(A1,MATCH(FALSE,ISERROR(--MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:100")),1)),0),100-SUM(--ISERROR(--MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:100")),1))))

entered with ctrl + shift & enter
assuming that the first data starts in A1

if you have leading zeros remove the first 2 --

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"jeremy via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

The numbers are all sequential. The text/puctuation are before or after....
No pattern other than that...

BenjieLop

Jeremy,

I am not sure if you are now able to read my post in this NG (as you
are signed in as a Guest) but should you be able to, please post back
and I will have a formula that will extract numbers from
alphanumerics.

Regards.

--
BenjieLop

BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11019
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=377416

jeremy via OfficeKB.com

PEO

I'm new to excel--shift control enter ??

I severalspread sheets with a list of numbers

4000
4909AD
NHG
MJH0044
6787
"7878

I'm hoping to paste them into a column and then eliminate the letters and
puctuation, so that I have a range of numbers 0 to 9999. The text entries
can be zero....

Thanks

Peo Sjoblom

Copy the formula I gave you into a text editor like notepad, do editreplace
and replace A1 with the cell reference where your data starts, so assume the
data starts in D4 replace A1 with D4, now copy the formula from notepad to
the formula bar in excel (or doubleclick a cell and paste it there), then
finish with ctrl + shift & enter and if done correctly you should get the
formula enclosed in curly brackets (so called array formula) like {formula}
Once done drag the formula cells fill handle to copy it to cover all the
cells necessary, hight light all cells you created qand copy them, do
editpaste special as values in place. Now you can replace the original data
with the extracted numbers

regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"jeremy via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

PEO

I'm new to excel--shift control enter ??

I severalspread sheets with a list of numbers

4000
4909AD
NHG
MJH0044
6787
"7878

I'm hoping to paste them into a column and then eliminate the letters and
puctuation, so that I have a range of numbers 0 to 9999. The text entries
can be zero....

Thanks

jeremy via OfficeKB.com

PEO

Thanks! That worked and saved me a lot of trouble....

jeremy

jeremy via OfficeKB.com

BenjieLop

I'm a guest--how do i sign in?

Sure I'm interested in the formula for isolating unmbers from
alphanumerics....

BenjieLop

<< BenjieLop

I'm a guest--how do i sign in?

You have to register with excelforum.com.

<< Sure I'm interested in the formula for isolating unmbers from
alphanumerics.

The formula that I have is the same as what Peo Sjoblom posted. This
will work for you.

Regards.