dthomas

Default Link to last entry

Well thanks for this, it has opened up the whole new concept of array
formulas for me. As a novice, however, I seem to be doing something
wrong.
I have carried out the follwing steps;

Entered a number of values in column A
Entered the formula in Cell B1 and pressed CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER
I then get message saying that the formula contains an error
The part of the formula A65535"" is highlighted (I found it would
accept the formula without these two quotation marks - but of course it
does not return the right value)

Is it possible to tell from this what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

JE McGimpsey Wrote:
One way (array-entered: CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RETURN):

=INDEX(A:A,MAX((A1:A65535"")*ROW(INDIRECT("1:65535 "))))

In article ,
dthomas
wrote:
-
Is it possible to link a cell to a column in such a way that the cell
will always return the last value in that column, and will update
when
a new value is added to the column?

Thanks-

--
dthomas
Max

Believe the site/place where you're posting to or reading posts from
unfortunately removes all the "greater than", "less than" or "not equal to"
symbols from posts, including from within formulas, that's the trouble ..

.... MAX((A1:A65535"") ...

There's a missing "not equal to" sign between the
A65535 and the double quotes "" in the above part

Just insert the missing piece in the formula, and it'll work fine ..

You could also try also viewing, and copy and paste JE's formula
direct from this google link: http://tinyurl.com/8gysf
--
Rgds
Max

wrote:
-
Is it possible to link a cell to a column in such a way that the cell
will always return the last value in that column, and will update
when
a new value is added to the column?

Thanks-

--
dthomas

Link to last entry dthomas New Users to Excel 1 June 6th 05 05:00 PM
limit text entry in a range of cells QTPRM Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 May 25th 05 03:52 AM
Link Link Link Karla Setting up and Configuration of Excel 0 May 17th 05 10:00 AM
Breaking the link T New Users to Excel 1 May 4th 05 10:37 PM
HELP! How do you--> Lock a set of rows but also link worksheets to FRUSTRATED Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 6 December 29th 04 11:05 PM