PFHMoney

Default In excel - how to total column if am not sure of the last cell

I am attempting to track mileage within an excel spreadsheet... with each
entry being enter into the spreadsheet similar to that of a checkbook
register...

I have no idea how many entries there will be for the year, so my question
is how to have a running total of sorts whereby the last entry (be it 2 or
200 cells later) will have a total?
Michael

Hi
Say your data is in columns A to D, and your mileages are in D, In cell E1,
put
=SUM(D:D)
This will sum everythin in column D, and your total will always be in the
same location regardless of column length

HTH
Michael
--
Michael Mitchelson

"PFHMoney" wrote:

I am attempting to track mileage within an excel spreadsheet... with each
entry being enter into the spreadsheet similar to that of a checkbook
register...

I have no idea how many entries there will be for the year, so my question
is how to have a running total of sorts whereby the last entry (be it 2 or
200 cells later) will have a total?

Peo Sjoblom

Or if the OP never leaves any blanks in-between one can use a dynamic range
click insertnamedefine, give it a name like MyRange, in the Refers to box
put

=OFFSET(Sheet1!$D$1,,,COUNTA(Sheet1!$D:$D),)

click OK

then use

=SUM(MyRange)

which will adapt to any new entries in the D column

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"PFHMoney" wrote:

I am attempting to track mileage within an excel spreadsheet... with each
entry being enter into the spreadsheet similar to that of a checkbook
register...

I have no idea how many entries there will be for the year, so my question
is how to have a running total of sorts whereby the last entry (be it 2 or
200 cells later) will have a total?

Michael

Good Point Peo.
However, I was sticking with KISS principle
Michael
--
Michael Mitchelson

"PFHMoney" wrote:

I am attempting to track mileage within an excel spreadsheet... with each
entry being enter into the spreadsheet similar to that of a checkbook
register...

I have no idea how many entries there will be for the year, so my question
is how to have a running total of sorts whereby the last entry (be it 2 or
200 cells later) will have a total?

Don Guillett

As I read your question you want the total to be the LAST entry in the
column. If so, just put in your cell a21 =sum(a2:a20) if row 20 is your last
row. Then insert new rows before the sum formula and Excel will adjust or
put your total at the TOP and use =sum(a2:a2000). Or, you can use a
worksheet change macro to automate replacing the last cell with the total
regardless of what you do or where you put the new figure.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software