Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default The Day After ???

June 2, 8.00 am and everything running normal.
What's happening ?
Does anyone know ??

Regards
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Luke
Yes, long live the newsgroups, but I wouldn't start celebrating yet.
Microsoft is notorious for doing things when and where they want.
Regards
John

"John" wrote in message
June 2, 8.00 am and everything running normal.
What's happening ?
Does anyone know ??

Regards
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Read Q and A at

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx

Q: When will this transition be complete?

A: Microsoft is closing newsgroups in phases and anticipates completing this
by Fall 2010.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 07:48:25 -0400, "John" wrote:

June 2, 8.00 am and everything running normal.
What's happening ?
Does anyone know ??

Regards
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

oooohhhh the grand old duke of york
he had ten thousand men
he marched them up to the top of the hill
and marched them down again . . .

"John" wrote in message
June 2, 8.00 am and everything running normal.
What's happening ?
Does anyone know ??

Regards
John

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 07:48:25 -0400, John wrote:

June 2, 8.00 am and everything running normal.
What's happening ?
Does anyone know ??

No one controls a given unmoderated newsgroup.

As I've said multiple times, Microsoft may withdraw its participation
in these newsgroups, but it lacks the power to terminate them.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 06:40:31 -0700, Gord Dibben wrote:

Read Q and A at

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx

Q: When will this transition be complete?

A: Microsoft is closing newsgroups in phases and anticipates completing this
by Fall 2010.

I don't deny that they said it, but I deny that it's true. Microsoft
has no more power to "close [a] newsgroup" than have you or I.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Indeed Microsoft cannot terminate a newsgroup and even if they could anyone
could introduce their own Excel newsgroup, however Microsoft could withdraw
the free access to these newsgroups through their server. I personally have
no Newsgroup access through my ISP and so rely on the Microsoft portal.
"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 07:48:25 -0400, John wrote:

June 2, 8.00 am and everything running normal.
What's happening ?
Does anyone know ??

No one controls a given unmoderated newsgroup.

As I've said multiple times, Microsoft may withdraw its participation
in these newsgroups, but it lacks the power to terminate them.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Below is an extract 2 liner from MS' message "Final Reminder ..."
So .... what does it mean exactly?

When will this Happen?
Effective June 1, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 15:43:13 -0700, Max wrote:

Below is an extract 2 liner from MS' message "Final Reminder ..."
So .... what does it mean exactly?

When will this Happen?
Effective June 1, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed

It means that whoever posted it doesn't understand AT ALL what Usenet
is, and what newsgroups are.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

That can't be true. I'm looking at this from a pure simple user viewpoint. I
don't know how it all works. Right now I don't have any assurance what to
expect when MS finally kills/switches off its servers one day down the road,
with presumably the usual weblinks to get here well and truly dead.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 19:04:32 +0800, Max wrote:

That can't be true. I'm looking at this from a pure simple user viewpoint. I
don't know how it all works. Right now I don't have any assurance what to
expect when MS finally kills/switches off its servers one day down the road,
with presumably the usual weblinks to get here well and truly dead.

So, get newsreader software and don't access Usenet by Web links. Or,
if you insist on a Web interface, use Google Groups -- but be aware
that a significant number of people have their software set to ignore
anything from Google Groups because the signal-to-noise ratio is so
effing low.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

June 2, 8.00 am and everything running normal.
What's happening ?
Does anyone know ??

I read and post to the MS news groups via msnews.microsoft.com. When I
logged into Thunderbird and clicked the expand ('+' button) to retrieve
new headers, I had several "news group does not exist do you want to
unsubscribe" messages. They are definitely removing groups from *their*
server.

This Excel group seems to be carried by news.eternal-september.org, so I
will just continue from there.

--

I am glad my Mom named me Aaron,
that is what everyone calls me.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Don Guillett wrote:
So, how do you use it?

I signed up at http://www.eternal-september.org/ (formerly
motzarella.org) and followed their instructions. It is free (as in no
charge) but worth it.

I switched when Verizon dropped all usenet groups that were not in the
Big 8, or their own.

--

I am glad my Mom named me Aaron,
that is what everyone calls me.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

OK Dave, I did that.
When I click on newsgroups and put in excel I get "no matches"
Help an old man figure it out.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Visit:
http://www.eternal-september.org/

Click on the Online link (in the notes about registering) and that'll take
you
directly to this page:
http://www.eternal-september.org/Reg...ewsAccount.php

Register and you'll get an email to confirm that you're human(!).

Then just use
news.eternal-september.org
as your newsserver

Don Guillett wrote:

So, how do you use it?

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Aaron" wrote in message
June 2, 8.00 am and everything running normal.
What's happening ?
Does anyone know ??

I read and post to the MS news groups via msnews.microsoft.com. When I
logged into Thunderbird and clicked the expand ('+' button) to retrieve
new headers, I had several "news group does not exist do you want to
unsubscribe" messages. They are definitely removing groups from *their*
server.

This Excel group seems to be carried by news.eternal-september.org, so
will just continue from there.

--

I am glad my Mom named me Aaron,
that is what everyone calls me.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

It looks like you're using Windows Live Mail.

I set it up in Outlook Express.

I added the server and set my access rules (id and password).
Then I was prompted to see if I wanted to download the list of newsgroups.

IIRC, I got a small list of newsgroups when I tried to set up the newsserver
without an id/password. I'm betting that happened to you.

If you refresh the list, then search for excel, I bet you'll be ok.

Don Guillett wrote:

OK Dave, I did that.
When I click on newsgroups and put in excel I get "no matches"
Help an old man figure it out.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Visit:
http://www.eternal-september.org/

Click on the Online link (in the notes about registering) and that'll take
you
directly to this page:
http://www.eternal-september.org/Reg...ewsAccount.php

Register and you'll get an email to confirm that you're human(!).

Then just use
news.eternal-september.org
as your newsserver

Don Guillett wrote:

So, how do you use it?

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Aaron" wrote in message
June 2, 8.00 am and everything running normal.
What's happening ?
Does anyone know ??

I read and post to the MS news groups via msnews.microsoft.com. When I
logged into Thunderbird and clicked the expand ('+' button) to retrieve
new headers, I had several "news group does not exist do you want to
unsubscribe" messages. They are definitely removing groups from *their*
server.

This Excel group seems to be carried by news.eternal-september.org, so
will just continue from there.

--

I am glad my Mom named me Aaron,
that is what everyone calls me.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

So, get newsreader software and don't access Usenet by Web links
But that's easier said than done. Not possible in office. Even Google/groups
are barred.
Only access to MS webpages are allowed.

Actually, who is parasiting who? Isn't it Google/3rd party sites parasiting
on MS, reproducing posts on MS' hosted webpages? I heard there's a lot of
discussions in those private MS MVP ngs, but hardly any trickle of those
discussions drips into these public ngs to enlighten the rest. Again, I'm
just a simple user/responder of xl ng newsgroups via MS webpages, at the
mercy of events evolving.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

HI Dave,

I did what you told Don G. to do and got the eternal-september loaded
complete with password and such.

I cannot see how to access anything to do with Excel newsgroups.

I've clicked on everything on the home page and others and I don't
understand squat about what I'm doing or what I should try to do...? Been
to FAQ's and all options clickable.

I believe I read that "you will be offered Excel Newsgroups to select
from..." but if not then you have to "trick" eternal-september into offering
them...???

Any suggestions.

Regards,
Howard

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Visit:
http://www.eternal-september.org/

Click on the Online link (in the notes about registering) and that'll take
you
directly to this page:
http://www.eternal-september.org/Reg...ewsAccount.php

Register and you'll get an email to confirm that you're human(!).

Then just use
news.eternal-september.org
as your newsserver

Don Guillett wrote:

So, how do you use it?

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Aaron" wrote in message
June 2, 8.00 am and everything running normal.
What's happening ?
Does anyone know ??

I read and post to the MS news groups via msnews.microsoft.com. When I
logged into Thunderbird and clicked the expand ('+' button) to retrieve
new headers, I had several "news group does not exist do you want to
unsubscribe" messages. They are definitely removing groups from *their*
server.

This Excel group seems to be carried by news.eternal-september.org, so
will just continue from there.

--

I am glad my Mom named me Aaron,
that is what everyone calls me.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

When you look at the list of newsgroups, do you see a list of about 10?
Including one named: eternal-september.where.are.all.the.newsgroups

If you see that then you haven't configured the name/password correctly -- or
you haven't refreshed that list.

Subscribe to this eternal-september.where.are.all.the.newsgroups newsgroup and
you'll see one message that describes how to get access to all the newsgroups.

If all this is true, then since you're using OE, you can rightclick on the
newsserver and choose properties.

Then on the Server tab, you can check the "this server requires me to log on"
and fill out the account name and password.

Then ok your way out out of this dialog.

Then rightclick on the server once more and choose Refresh list. After that
finishes, you should be able to subscribe to the excel newsgroups.

(I hope <vbg.)

But as long as the msnews servers are still carrying the *excel* newsgroups, I'm
staying here.

"L. Howard Kittle" wrote:

[...]

Don Guillett wrote:

So, how do you use it?

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Aaron" wrote in message
June 2, 8.00 am and everything running normal.
What's happening ?
Does anyone know ??

I read and post to the MS news groups via msnews.microsoft.com. When I
logged into Thunderbird and clicked the expand ('+' button) to retrieve
new headers, I had several "news group does not exist do you want to
unsubscribe" messages. They are definitely removing groups from *their*
server.

This Excel group seems to be carried by news.eternal-september.org, so
will just continue from there.

--

I am glad my Mom named me Aaron,
that is what everyone calls me.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 09:58:55 +0800, Max wrote:
Actually, who is parasiting who? Isn't it Google/3rd party sites
parasiting on MS, reproducing posts on MS' hosted webpages?

No. Microsoft made the decision to inject into Usenet everything
that was posted on its Web-based forums (or certain ones). Now they
regret that, so they're "closing the newsgroups". Typical Microsoft
desire to eat their cake and have it, and when reality intrudes they
go off in a snit to hatch up something even more non-standard that
they think they'll be able to control.

There are quite a number of sites that leech off Usenet, making
copies of Usenet articles and posting them on their own Web sites
without permission, as though the articles had been posted to their
forums. I believe Microsoft was one of those, though presumably that
has now stopped just as the injection into Usenet has stopped.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...