Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Excel Invoice followon autonumbering

Hi
Can anybody help me please I have designed an invoice, I want it to assign a
new invoice number everytime a new invoice is generateded.
Please could somebody give me an answer in clear jargon free wording, as I
am really new to excel and I havent got a clue what I am doing.
Many thanks,
Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Chris
This is pretty simple except for one thing. What constitutes "a new
invoice is generated"? Excel can react automatically to many "events" and
do whatever you want when the "event" occurs. So when do you want the new
number assigned? Maybe when a specific cell gets an entry? Maybe when you
print the invoice? Maybe something else? HTH Otto

"cjw064" wrote in message
Hi
Can anybody help me please I have designed an invoice, I want it to assign
new invoice number everytime a new invoice is generateded.
Please could somebody give me an answer in clear jargon free wording, as I
am really new to excel and I havent got a clue what I am doing.
Many thanks,
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Is your Invoice workbook a true Template(*.xlt) or just a copied sheet?

As Otto points out..........when do you want the number incremented?

I will point you to JE McGimpsey's site for some code to generate a new
number when workbook is opened.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html

Post back for more assistance if required.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 25 May 2010 13:53:01 -0700, cjw064
wrote:

Hi
Can anybody help me please I have designed an invoice, I want it to assign a
new invoice number everytime a new invoice is generateded.
Please could somebody give me an answer in clear jargon free wording, as I
am really new to excel and I havent got a clue what I am doing.
Many thanks,
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Otto and Gord,

Many thanks for replying... what I basically want to happen is, I have
generated a self made invoice template, I want it to for example open and
start at #1 I then write the invoice and save it to my customers file. i then
need to produce another invoice and its becomes #2 and so on...

Hope that makes sence

Chris :o)

"cjw064" wrote in message
Hi
Can anybody help me please I have designed an invoice, I want it to assign
new invoice number everytime a new invoice is generateded.
Please could somebody give me an answer in clear jargon free wording, as I
am really new to excel and I havent got a clue what I am doing.
Many thanks,
Chris

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Chris
As I said before, Excel needs to know when to increment the number.
Let's work on that only for now. You say you "save it to my customers file".
That might be an event we can use. Exactly what do you do when you "save it
to my customers file". Don't generalize. Tell me "I hit this key", "I
click on that button", etc, etc, etc. Otto

"cjw064" wrote in message
Hi
Can anybody help me please I have designed an invoice, I want it to
assign
new invoice number everytime a new invoice is generateded.
Please could somebody give me an answer in clear jargon free wording,
as I
am really new to excel and I havent got a clue what I am doing.
Many thanks,
Chris

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You are saying the invoice template is a real Template(*.xlt) or (*.xltx)
and not just a copied sheet?

In that case see McGimpsey's site.

Gord