Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default if-then functions

I have a two sheet workbook. If 'sheet 1 B7' contains a certain word I want
"Sheet2 B2' to return the value in 'Sheet 1 B8". Can I do this? How?
Thanx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Type this formula in B2 of Sheet2:

=if(countif(Sheet1!b7,"*"&"certain"&"*")=0,"",shee t1!b8)

=countif() will treat the * as a wild card. So "certain" could be anywhere in
that B7 Cell.

On 05/14/2010 14:16, Becky wrote:
I have a two sheet workbook. If 'sheet 1 B7' contains a certain word I want
"Sheet2 B2' to return the value in 'Sheet 1 B8". Can I do this? How?
Thanx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

=if('sheet1 B7'="Desired Word",'Sheet 1 B8","")
This has to be done in "Sheet2 B2"

Please note that there is normally a "!" between the sheet and the cell
location.

If you start by typing in the "If" statement and use the mouse to point to
the cells desired XL will put in the correct notation.

--
Wag more, bark less