Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default SORTING HELP!

If I sort my table alphanumerically by one of the columns in the middle, how
to I make sure all the info in their respective rows follows them? I need to
alphabetize my document by information in the 5th row, but when I do that,
the rest of the information gets all out of order, how do I get it to sort
that way without loosing the corresponding info in the rows?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

If I didn't misundeerstand when sorting select the hole range let' say from
column A to E then sort by column E

if you have formulas in some to the columns you will have to overwrite them
copy and pasting the information as values, otherwise when sorting everything
will be changed

"peeweedelivery" wrote:

If I sort my table alphanumerically by one of the columns in the middle, how
to I make sure all the info in their respective rows follows them? I need to
alphabetize my document by information in the 5th row, but when I do that,
the rest of the information gets all out of order, how do I get it to sort
that way without loosing the corresponding info in the rows?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hello peeweedelivery,

If you are actually working in a defined table in Excel 2007, then the
labels at the top of each column should have a drop-down sort option
(however, this drop-down can be hidden, though not by default). Selecting a
sort option from this drop-down menu includes the entire row in any column
sort. I have also tried to force a bad sort in a defined table by selecting
only column labels or subsets of the data, however the sort always seems to
affect the entire table regardless of my selection. Presumably, this is
what you want.

However, you might be in what is formatted to look like a table, but is not
actually a defined table. If this is the case, then selecting anything
other than the entire set of data will ONLY sort the selected data and not
the neighboring data. When selecting and sorting any non-table range, you
also have the option of specifying whether your selected data includes
column headers or not. Hope this helps.

Richard