Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Need urgent help with target figures

I hope you can help me with the following task below. I am struggling with
the second part of the question but i will be happy for assistance on both. A
quick reposnse will be appreciated !! Thank you.

Question
Your manager wants to know which areas are currently achieving the target
and what the year end position may be, given there is only one month of the
year left.

Information Provided

Area A B C D E
Current month (February) 5 8 30 21 22
Year to date (Apr-Feb) 2007/08 95 95 401 238 187
Year to date (Apr-Feb) 2006/07 91 120 429 264 209
Progress on prev yr 4.4% -20.8% -6.5% -9.8% -10.5%
Target 2007/08
(-10% on previous yr) 86 116.1 421 259 207

Actual year end 2006/07 96 129 468 288 230

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Kits" wrote:
I am struggling with the second part of the question
but i will be happy for assistance on both.

[.... First part:]
Your manager wants to know which areas are currently
achieving the target

I would be interested in your answer to this first part -- that is, the
formula. Do you realize that the data given for Target is for year-end, not
year-to-date through Feb?

[Second part:]
what the year end position may be, given there is only
one month of the year left.

Do you have data for the results in Mar of the previous year?

If not, then there are two ways to predict the year-end result.

Since your instructor said "given there is only one month of the year left",
I suspect that he/she wants you to assume a simple average result for Mar.
Thus, for Area A, the year-end result would be 12*95/11.

Alternatively, you might assume a comparable difference between the current
year and the previous year's year-end v. year-to-date results, which does not
depend on "there is only one month left". Thus, for Area A, the year-end
result would be 95*96/91.

Since those predictions are different in some cases, only you can decide
which is the answer that you want to use.

Is that sufficient help? Or do you need help with the Excel formula?

If the latter, explain how you would like to calculate the predicted
year-end result.