Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How do I count the number of cells

I have several dozens columns and 52 rows containing Data.

All the columns are labled Odd or Even
In the final (right most) Column I want to count the number of times that
that coulmn has data in it
The last row belows shows what the answer should be

Total Total
Odd Even Odd Even Odd Even Odd
5 1 2 ????? ?????
1 7 6 3 ????? ?????
5 1 2 ????? ?????
1 2 9 3 1 3

PLease help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

=COUNTA()

- will count the number of non blank cells.

In the brackets place the range name (for example A1:A2).

Please hit Yes if my comments have helped.

Thanks.

"Alan" wrote:

I have several dozens columns and 52 rows containing Data.

All the columns are labled Odd or Even
In the final (right most) Column I want to count the number of times that
that coulmn has data in it
The last row belows shows what the answer should be

Total Total
Odd Even Odd Even Odd Even Odd
5 1 2 ????? ?????
1 7 6 3 ????? ?????
5 1 2 ????? ?????
1 2 9 3 1 3

PLease help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

but that will also count the even columns

I need to count the number of columns that only have "even" on the top and
data in them

and count the rows seperately that say "odd"

"Alan" wrote:

I have several dozens columns and 52 rows containing Data.

All the columns are labled Odd or Even
In the final (right most) Column I want to count the number of times that
that coulmn has data in it
The last row belows shows what the answer should be

Total Total
Odd Even Odd Even Odd Even Odd
5 1 2 ????? ?????
1 7 6 3 ????? ?????
5 1 2 ????? ?????
1 2 9 3 1 3

PLease help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Perhaps this to count across row 1:

=COUNTIF(1:1,"even")

--
"Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB
(www.MadRocketScientist.com)

Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you.

"Alan" wrote:

I have several dozens columns and 52 rows containing Data.

All the columns are labled Odd or Even
In the final (right most) Column I want to count the number of times that
that coulmn has data in it
The last row belows shows what the answer should be

Total Total
Odd Even Odd Even Odd Even Odd
5 1 2 ????? ?????
1 7 6 3 ????? ?????
5 1 2 ????? ?????
1 2 9 3 1 3

PLease help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Maybe this?

Odds: =SUMPRODUCT((A$1:H$1="Odd")*(A2:H2<""))

Evens: =SUMPRODUCT((A$1:H$1="Even")*(A2:H2<""))

Change the A thru H example columns to the actual column limits you are
using.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Alan" wrote:

I have several dozens columns and 52 rows containing Data.

All the columns are labled Odd or Even
In the final (right most) Column I want to count the number of times
that
that coulmn has data in it
The last row belows shows what the answer should be

Total Total
Odd Even Odd Even Odd Even Odd
5 1 2 ????? ?????
1 7 6 3 ????? ?????
5 1 2 ????? ?????
1 2 9 3 1 3

PLease help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

That just counts the number of times the word even appears, let me try to
rephrase my problem

I have several columns (over 100) that say either "odd" "even", or no
nothing at the top (row1)
I need a formula that will read across row 2 starting at column 1 look up to
see if "even" is written there, if it is and there is a value in that cell
(c1,r2) then I need to count that cell, then I need to look in Column 2, if
"even" is written there I need to count that cell as well (c2,r2). repeat to
Column (DA)

C1 C2 C3 C4 Count Count
evan Odd
R1 Even Odd Odd neg

R2 1 1 1 4 formula?

R3 2 2 3 formula?

R4 9 8 8 0 1 2
this is the result I need

"Alan" wrote:

I have several dozens columns and 52 rows containing Data.

All the columns are labled Odd or Even
In the final (right most) Column I want to count the number of times that
that coulmn has data in it
The last row belows shows what the answer should be

Total Total
Odd Even Odd Even Odd Even Odd
5 1 2 ????? ?????
1 7 6 3 ????? ?????
5 1 2 ????? ?????
1 2 9 3 1 3

PLease help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Good afternoon,

To just count how many columns contain data, use:

=COUNTA(RangeToCount)

For Example:

A1 5
B1