Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
KRK KRK is offline

Default help with a formula please

Hello,

I have a long list of numbers (over 600) in a single column, say they are in
A1..A600 (they are daily meter readings) .

In column B I want to subtotal them in groups of 30, or 90, or 365 , or 7,
where the number of days being subtotalled is specified in another cell ?

So in B600 I would have =SUM(A571:A600) for 30 days, or =SUM(A511:A600) for
90 days etc. , where the starting cell A571 or A511 is determined by a
number, ie 30 or 90, in cell C600

How do I arrange for the first cell in the SUM( ) formula to be
determined in this way?

Can someone point me in the right direction please

Thanks as always

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

K,

With the number of days (30, 90, etc.) in cell B2:

=SUM(OFFSET(A600,-(B2-1),0,B2,1))

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"KRK" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a long list of numbers (over 600) in a single column, say they are in A1..A600 (they are
daily meter readings) .

In column B I want to subtotal them in groups of 30, or 90, or 365 , or 7, where the number of
days being subtotalled is specified in another cell ?

So in B600 I would have =SUM(A571:A600) for 30 days, or =SUM(A511:A600) for 90 days etc. , where
the starting cell A571 or A511 is determined by a number, ie 30 or 90, in cell C600

How do I arrange for the first cell in the SUM( ) formula to be determined in this way?

Can someone point me in the right direction please

Thanks as always

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

There are a variety of ways that you could this:

=SUM((INDIRECT("A"&(600-C600+1)):A600))

This presumes the last line of your data is in A600 - the period that you
want to examine is in C600.
Change the cell references as required

edvwvw

KRK wrote:
Hello,

I have a long list of numbers (over 600) in a single column, say they are in
A1..A600 (they are daily meter readings) .

In column B I want to subtotal them in groups of 30, or 90, or 365 , or 7,
where the number of days being subtotalled is specified in another cell ?

So in B600 I would have =SUM(A571:A600) for 30 days, or =SUM(A511:A600) for
90 days etc. , where the starting cell A571 or A511 is determined by a
number, ie 30 or 90, in cell C600

How do I arrange for the first cell in the SUM( ) formula to be
determined in this way?

Can someone point me in the right direction please

Thanks as always

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
KRK KRK is offline

Default help with a formula please - Thanks

Hello again & thanks for the help.

KK

?