Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Countif orSumif or what?

I'd like to look at a range of columns on each row and count the numbe of
occurances of "R", "D", etc.
I've tried Countif and Sumif and get zero back.
I've tried looking for singles ("D") and still get zero.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Doug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

What did your formulas look like?

Something like this:
=countif(2:2,"D")

Try this instead:
=countif(2:2,"*D*")

If you get a value other than 0, then I bet you have other stuff in those
cells--not just a single character.
In "*D*", the asterisks are wildcards and represent any number of other
characters.

So maybe you have some extra space characters (or even HTML non-breaking spaces)
in each of those cell.

Saved from a previous post.

Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that will help determine what that
character(s) is:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.aspx

Depending on what that character is, you may be able to use alt-#### (from the
number keypad) to enter the character into the Other box in the text to columns
wizard dialog.

In fact, you may be able to select the character (in the formula bar), and copy
it. Then use ctrl-v to paste into that text to columns Other box.

You may be able to use Edit|Replace to change the character--Some characters can
be entered by holding the alt-key and typing the hex number on the numeric
keypad. For example, alt-0010 (or ctrl-j) can be used for linefeeds. But I've
never been able to get alt-0013 to work for carriage returns.

Another alternative is to fix it via a formula:

=substitute(a1,char(##),"")

Replace ## with the ASCII value you see in Chip's addin.

Or you could use a macro (after using Chip's CellView addin):

Option Explicit
Sub cleanEmUp()

Dim myBadChars As Variant
Dim myGoodChars As Variant
Dim iCtr As Long

myBadChars = Array(Chr(##)) '<--What showed up in CellView?

myGoodChars = Array("")

If UBound(myGoodChars) < UBound(myBadChars) Then
MsgBox "Design error!"
Exit Sub
End If

For iCtr = LBound(myBadChars) To UBound(myBadChars)
ActiveSheet.Cells.Replace What:=myBadChars(iCtr), _
Replacement:=myGoodChars(iCtr), _
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
MatchCase:=False
Next iCtr

End Sub

If you're new to macros:

Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to implement macros he
http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html

David McRitchie has an intro to macros:

Ron de Bruin's intro to macros:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

(General, Regular and Standard modules all describe the same thing.)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Dave,
You've helped me before. Thanks again.

I really want to count it if has just a D in it and no other characters.
Doug

Doug Mc wrote:

I'd like to look at a range of columns on each row and count the numbe of
occurances of "R", "D", etc.
I've tried Countif and Sumif and get zero back.
I've tried looking for singles ("D") and still get zero.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Doug

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Provide some examples about your data structure. Confirm whether each cell
consist only the Letters "D" OR "R" ? Otherwise whether the D or R is mingled
some other words or Character?

For Example if the cell value is like this
KLDMDSRORR

Whether you need to check whether 'D' OR 'R' is present on that cell or if
you want to count the Number of Occurences of 'D' OR 'R' in each cells.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"Doug Mc" wrote:

I'd like to look at a range of columns on each row and count the numbe of
occurances of "R", "D", etc.
I've tried Countif and Sumif and get zero back.
I've tried looking for singles ("D") and still get zero.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Doug

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

I've tried looking for singles ("D") and still get zero.
Could be invisible leading/trailing white spaces somewhere throwing things off
Try TRIM, eg: =SUMPRODUCT(--(TRIM(A2:A10)="D"))
Any good? hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore