Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Subtracting figures in a column

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how I can continuously subtract a given number
from every entry in a column.

I want to be able to somehow be able to enter a number, say, in a cell and
in so doing would deduct that sum from every cell in that column. All the
numbers in the various cells of that column would change.
The next day I might enter another number in that cell again and it would
continue to deduct from that column.

In other words what I am trying to achieve is a kind of stock control where
the rows represent the various parts required for a particular task, so one
job might require 1 of everything in column A. The numbers of the various
components in each row may vary, so:

Row 1 Item 1 56
Row 2 Item 2 44
Row 3 Item 3 39

Somewhere, presumably row 4, cell 3 (in that example) I could enter a
number, say 2, and that would permanently change item 1 to 54, item 2 to 42
and item 3 to 37, so that next time I needed to deduct a sum, I could enter
another number and it would change that.

Any ideas?
--
Ron O'Brien

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

That works great except for one slight problem....

If a cell is empty it puts a minus sum into it. I've tried selecting skip
blanks in the paste special dialogue box but that makes no difference, is
there any kind of work around?

Ron