Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Reference List

I am currently using Excel from Microsoft Office 2007 and could use some
help.
I have a list of about 50 suppliers to which I have assigned individual
vendor numbers. In preparing reports of different activities, I would like
to enter just the vendor code but have the report show the entire supplier
name. I understand there is a method using a table but I have not been able
to find out how to do this. Obviously I am far from being proficient at
this.
Thank you very much for the help.
Gene L.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:12:12 -0400, "Gene L."
wrote:

I am currently using Excel from Microsoft Office 2007 and could use some
help.
I have a list of about 50 suppliers to which I have assigned individual
vendor numbers. In preparing reports of different activities, I would like
to enter just the vendor code but have the report show the entire supplier
name. I understand there is a method using a table but I have not been able
to find out how to do this. Obviously I am far from being proficient at
this.
Thank you very much for the help.
Gene L.

Take a look at the VLOOKUP function.
If you have your vendor numbers in column A, say from row 1 to row 50,
and your corresponding supplier names in column B, also from row 1 to
row 50, the following formula will look up the supplier name for the
vendor number that you have in some cell, e.g. cell X10.

=VLOOKUP(X10,A1:B50,2,FALSE)

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke