Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Formula

How do I enter a formula to calculate a 7% sales tax?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If A1 holds the pre-tax price then =A1*7% will compute the sales tax while
=A1*1.7 will compute the price_with_tax-included.

Now all this is mathematically correct but we work in dollars and cents (or
pound and pennies etc.), so we need to do some rounding to the nearest cent
sales tax: =ROUND(A1*7%,2)
price-with-tax =ROUND(A1*1.07,2)

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"MissM07" wrote in message
How do I enter a formula to calculate a 7% sales tax?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,
suppose your sales is in cell a1 and you want the 7% in B1, in b1 enter

=a1*.07

if you want in B1 to have the total sales including taxes enter

=a1*1.07

if this helps please click yes, thanks