Old August 14th 09, 09:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Formula for Relative Percent Difference...

I'm trying to develop a data control chart and I can't find the function for
relative percent difference...I think it might be a nested function that I
need to use? I'm new to this aspect of excel so, please be kind. I have
found the formula
ABS (A-B)/A but I need a function for relative percent difference....how can
I chage the following formula into something that works in excel?

(a-b)/((a+b)/2)*100 = relative percent difference, where a is a data point
in colum A and b is a data point in colum B?

Thanks

Old August 14th 09, 09:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

JIn an empty cell, just replace the a and b with the actual cell
references..and place an = sign in front.

e.g

=(A2-B2)/((A2+B2)/2)*100

where cell A2 contains your a data point and cell B2 contains your b
data point.

--
NBVC

Where there is a will there are many ways.

NBVC's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=74
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=125550

Old August 14th 09, 11:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"bnorris" wrote:
(a-b)/((a+b)/2)*100 = relative percent difference

No. I believe RPD is: abs(a-b) / ( (a+b)/2 ) * 100. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent_difference .

In Excel, that can be written:

=ABS(A1-B1) / AVERAGE(A1,B1)

formatted as Percentage. Alternatively: