Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Lookup

Hi,

I have a long code that contains shorter codes that I wish to look them up
with similar codes in another sheet, is there anyway that I can do this in
one step lookup rather than splitting up these long codes?

Thanks
--
tarig

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Long Code in Sheet 1
Code Description
25-50-658-1234 Product (A) in warehouse (X)
25-51-785-4521 Product (B) in Warehouse (Y)

Short Codes in sheet 2
Code Description
50-658 Warehouse (X)
51-785 Warehouse (Y)

I want to lookup the short codes in sheet 2 to get their respective
descriptions in sheet 1.

--
tarig

"Tarig" wrote:

Hi,

I have a long code that contains shorter codes that I wish to look them up
with similar codes in another sheet, is there anyway that I can do this in
one step lookup rather than splitting up these long codes?

Thanks
--
tarig

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,
Let's say your partial code starts in A2 in B2 enter

=INDEX(sheet1!B:B,MATCH("*"&A1&"*",sheet1!A:A,0))

if you are not using excel 2007 enter

=INDEX(sheet1!B1:B3000,MATCH("*"&A1&"*",sheet1!A1: A3000,0))

"Tarig" wrote:

Hi,

I have a long code that contains shorter codes that I wish to look them up
with similar codes in another sheet, is there anyway that I can do this in
one step lookup rather than splitting up these long codes?

Thanks
--
tarig

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

It didn't work!

I need the lookup/match results in the sheet that contains the long codes so
that I can figure out how much stock I have in my different warehouses
--
tarig