Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default IF statement

is there a way to say to create a column that displays a Yes or No if part of
a field has some text in it

for example if you wanted to tag the ones that had a D in column A

ColumnA Tag
abc N
abde Y
abcd Y
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

=LEN(A1)<LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"d","")) ......................... TRUE/FALSE
=IF(LEN(A1)<LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"d","")),"Y","N") .......... Y/N
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"HS" wrote in message
is there a way to say to create a column that displays a Yes or No if part
of
a field has some text in it

for example if you wanted to tag the ones that had a D in column A

ColumnA Tag
abc N
abde Y
abcd Y
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

thank you :) I guess I should have gone a little further with this I'm trying
to find a word in some text in the column so it's more like a few letters, to
be exact it's OEM

for example
Calibre Micronic OEM Bnd SW

and i need to tag it cuz it has OEM in the text?

Is that possible?
Thanks!

"HS" wrote in message
is there a way to say to create a column that displays a Yes or No if part
of
a field has some text in it

for example if you wanted to tag the ones that had a D in column A

ColumnA Tag
abc N
abde Y
abcd Y
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

here are some other ideas:

=IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*d*")0,"Y","N")

or

=IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*"&F1&"*")0,"Y","N")

where F1 has whatever you want to search for

If you are willing to have the results display as True or False instead of
Y, N

=COUNTIF(A1,"*d*")0

You can search for any string by just replacing the d with whatever..

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire