Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Lee Lee is offline

Default Return Column Heading based on value in row

I want to return the column heading based on the highest value in a range of
rows. I want to return the week that had the most units sold. I have the
units sold for each week by item and the total for that week. I used the
large() and found the largest amount but I don't know where to begin on
returning the week that this number occurs. I have 1218 items over a 23 week
period that I want to compare.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank,

Lee Coleman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Say the item data is in row 7 and the columns headers are in row 1. In Z10
thru Z12 enter:

=LARGE(A7:W7,1)
=MATCH(X10,A7:W7,0)
=INDEX(A1:W1,,X11)

The first gets the max in A7 thru W7
The second locates the max in that range
The third returns the column header for that column

Naturally you can combine the three formula into one if you want.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007L

"Lee" wrote:

I want to return the column heading based on the highest value in a range of
rows. I want to return the week that had the most units sold. I have the
units sold for each week by item and the total for that week. I used the
large() and found the largest amount but I don't know where to begin on
returning the week that this number occurs. I have 1218 items over a 23 week
period that I want to compare.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank,

Lee Coleman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Lee Lee is offline

THANKS, I ended up with =INDEX($C$1:$Y$1,,MATCH(LARGE(C2:Y2,1),C2:Y2,0)) and
couldn't have done it without your help.
Thank you so very much.