Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Lock the format

I have a spreadsheet that I need others to update with values. I want them
to be able to enter text, but not modify the formatting (column width, font,
etc). They may need to add additional rows, though. But still do not want
them to be able to modify the format of those new rows. Seems like I should
be able to do this, but I can't figure out how. Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

By default all cells in a worksheet are locked when sheet protection is
enabled.

It is up to you to decide which are to be locked or unlocked when the sheet
is protected.

FormatCellsProtection is where you would change the "locked" or "unlocked"
status.

Select all cells and unlock them.

Select the cells to be locked and lock them

Then ToolsProtectProtect Sheet.

Note the selectable options under "allow users to" when protecting,
specifically allowing inserting rows.

Note that "Format Cells" can be disallowed by leaving it unchecked.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP