Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Need Help

Could someone please tell me how to find the absolute value of the
differences in a number series residing in a column? I know the abs value
function. I don't understand how to get the differences using Excel formulas.
I want to calculated each difference between the numbers. I'm stuck on my
own.

And also, after calculating this number is it possible to divide the result
by however many cells are referenced in the colummn automatically? I would
like to be able to see an average determined by however many cells are
referenced. If
that makes sense.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

something like this array* formula should work:
=SUM(ABS(A2:A100-A3:A101))-ABS(A100)
You may need to adjust the range sizes to fit your data properly. Note that
the 2 arrays are equal size, just offset by 1. Final subtraction is to
exclude final number in your series.

*Use Ctrl+Shift+Enter to confirm formula, not just enter.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M