Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Pivot Table Question

Hi

I have a table with 10 columns of data.

I have to create approximately another 8 colums that read this data and do
calculations from the 10 columns of data (I think you call them "helper"
colums)

What I would like to know is when creating a pivot table is it more
efficient to create helper columns or to add "calculated fields" to the pivot
table instead.

Thanks

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,
In my experience I prefer to work with the helper and then select this field
in my Pivot Table, the reason is because always there is somebody asking for
something else and is easy to create that extra with the helper and then
populate it in the Pivot Table

"John Calder" wrote:

Hi

I have a table with 10 columns of data.

I have to create approximately another 8 colums that read this data and do
calculations from the 10 columns of data (I think you call them "helper"
colums)

What I would like to know is when creating a pivot table is it more
efficient to create helper columns or to add "calculated fields" to the pivot
table instead.

Thanks

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi John

Inevitably, using helper columns in the source data gives far more
flexibility than using calculated fields.

--
Regards
Roger Govier