Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Vlookup,format general, format text

Hi,
I am having a pull the hair out problem with excel. I have a workbook that I
use vlookup to get data from a datasheet in the same workbook. The data is a
combination of text and numbers and text and numbers combined. Excel
sometimes returns the values I want and sometimes doesn't. Sometimes I have
to format the data as text and vlookup will work and sometimes not. Then I
switch the data to general and it will work and sometimes not. This is
extremely frustrating. Now I have a few cells that will not return anything
but N/A no matter what format I have it in. I know that that data is okay
because on another sheet vlookup works fine with the same data in the same
format. I have deleted, cleared cells, changed formats more times than I care
to count. I am using Excel 2007 though I had the same problem in Excel 2003.

I have tried to explain this but will do more if anyone is willing to help.
thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Have you tried Index and match?
Contextures explain it well and include good examples to help you understand
how it works.

If you are stuck, don't despair. post a representative sample of your data
together with your formula.

--
Steve