Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
KC KC is offline

Default FORMULA

On a spreadsheet I have filled cells B1thru B5 with daily quotes on a
particular stock. In cell B6, I want to express the relative growth for that
five day period of time I know there is a simple formula, but I can't see
how to do it. I am brand new to Excel.
--
KEN
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Enter this in B6
=B5/B1
this will show you how the fraction showing the increase/decrease of value
in B5 as compared to B1...
so if B1 increased from 100 to 120 in B5, B6 will show you 1.2
You can format it as % to see 120%...
or have
=B5/B1 - 1
to see the % growth (20%)...

basically use * to multiply, / to divide and + or - normally as you would do
on paper...
replace numbers with the cell name like I have done with B1 and B5...

If this is not what you want then show us how you will calculate in on
paper...

"KC" wrote:

On a spreadsheet I have filled cells B1thru B5 with daily quotes on a
particular stock. In cell B6, I want to express the relative growth for that
five day period of time I know there is a simple formula, but I can't see
how to do it. I am brand new to Excel.
--
KEN

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
KC KC is offline

SHEELOO,
THANKS FOR THE INFO...HELPED MY SYNAPSES TO CONNECT.
KEN
--
KEN

"KC" wrote:

On a spreadsheet I have filled cells B1thru B5 with daily quotes on a
particular stock. In cell B6, I want to express the relative growth for that
five day period of time I know there is a simple formula, but I can't see
how to do it. I am brand new to Excel.
--
KEN

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Another way to look at this, which is equivalent, would be

=(A5-A1)/A1

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire