Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Opening files

I use Vista. When I attempt to open an Excel file from: My Documents,Finance,
Expenses.xls - the window shows the file in part screen and I can take no
action. It's as though there's a problem, but no error message. All places to
"click" are grey and I have to use Ctrl/Alt/Del to close it and then, it
closes all Excel files, even those that were open and working. So I start all
over. Also, any of those files it closes lose all changes - of course - and
occassionally that's a major headache. This happened in ".xlsx" so I don't
use 2007 save, only 2003. In other words, this new 2007 is a pain in the -
everywhere!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Excel 2007 is not that bad that it can not open its own format...
(In fact I love it...)

If it is happening with all XLSX files then to fix...

Try
Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) Start-Run- excel.exe /unregserver -OK.
2) Start-Run- excel.exe /regserver -OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe (most likely C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Office12)

In that case Start-Run- "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office12\excel.exe" /regserver - OK

Note that quotes are required because of spaces in the path