Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Finding a cell location

I am trying to find the exact cell reference (or even column) that contains
the max of a range.
Basically, after I find the highest or lowest of a range, I want to be able
to identify which column it's in and then display that column heading in
another cell.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Something like this will extract the col header within B1:E1
for the max within each row in row2 down
(that's the underlying functionality that you seek)

In F2: =INDEX($B$1:$E$1,MATCH(MAX(B2:E2),B2:E2,0))
Copy F2 down

If there are any ties in the maximum,
the expression returns the leftmost col header

High-five?, click YES below
--
Max
Singapore