Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Absolute Values and Column Insertions

I've created a formula in column A that adds up some cells in column D. Ex:
=sum(D3:D6). If I insert one column in front of column D, the formula changes
to =sum(E3:E6). This happens even if I change the formula to =sum($D$3:$D$6).
I also tried creating a range name called TEST referring to the original
$D$3:$D$6 range and the column insertion changed the TEST range definition as
well.

Is there a way to keep a formula from NOT adjusting to column insertions or
deletions? Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Please don't multi-post

See answer in other newsgroup

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"BobK" wrote in message
I've created a formula in column A that adds up some cells in column D.
Ex:
=sum(D3:D6). If I insert one column in front of column D, the formula
changes
to =sum(E3:E6). This happens even if I change the formula to
=sum($D$3:$D$6).
I also tried creating a range name called TEST referring to the original
$D$3:$D$6 range and the column insertion changed the TEST range definition
as
well.

Is there a way to keep a formula from NOT adjusting to column insertions
or
deletions? Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

BobK;229671 Wrote:
I've created a formula in column A that adds up some cells in column D.
Ex:
=sum(D3:D6). If I insert one column in front of column D, the formula
changes
to =sum(E3:E6). This happens even if I change the formula to
=sum($D$3:$D$6).
I also tried creating a range name called TEST referring to the
original
$D$3:$D$6 range and the column insertion changed the TEST range
definition as
well.

Is there a way to keep a formula from NOT adjusting to column
insertions or
deletions? Thanks in advance!

Hi, try =sum(indirect("d3:d6"))

--
Pecoflyer

Cheers -
*'Membership is free' (http://www.thecodecage.com)* & allows file
upload -faster and better answers

*Adding your XL version* to your post helps finding solution faster
Pecoflyer's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=14
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=64156

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You're not alone! Something is wrong with this forum

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel