Mike W

Default Sorting

I have data entries in a column as follows: ABC123, DFR234, TRE456 and so
on. What I need to do is to sort this column by the numbers and not
alphabetically but retain the letters in the sorted list.

Help would be appreciated.

Mike

Peo Sjoblom

If that's the case you would need a help column where you parse the numbers,
then select both columns and sort by the help column, are there always 3
letters followed by the numbers? If so you could use

=--MID(A2,4,15)

if not you can use

=--MID(A2,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(--MID(A2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A2))),1)),0),15)

entered with ctrl + shift & enter

Peo Sjoblom

"Mike W" wrote in message
I have data entries in a column as follows: ABC123, DFR234, TRE456 and so
on. What I need to do is to sort this column by the numbers and not
alphabetically but retain the letters in the sorted list.

Help would be appreciated.

Mike

Mike W

Peo,

sorted! many thanks for a speedy reply. I could have said the numbers were
all preceeded by three letters so the first formula did the trick.

Regards,

Mike

)