Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default I need to show the last number in a rows in the total pending row

I have a column where I list pending cases each month and I need to show the
last number in the total pending cell at the bottom of the row. I can use an
offset fomula which works if the pending cases begin in row 1. However, I am
not able to get it to work if the pending cases begin in rows 4 or 5 as an
example. Any suggestion?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Rows don't have a bottom.............guess you meant Column.

Last number in column A

=LOOKUP(99^99,A:A)

Last anything in column A

=LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:A65535<""),A1:A65535)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:30:08 -0800, Jen S <Jen
wrote:

I have a column where I list pending cases each month and I need to show the
last number in the total pending cell at the bottom of the row. I can use an
offset fomula which works if the pending cases begin in row 1. However, I am
not able to get it to work if the pending cases begin in rows 4 or 5 as an
example. Any suggestion?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If you are talking about total number of pending case, I hope that number
isn't close to 99^99 = 3.69729637649726E+197

Far larger than the national debt, the number of stars in the known
universe, number of grains of sand in all the earth's oceans!

Might as well use 9^9 which is still very large = 387,420,489

The first argument of the LOOKUP function only needs to be larger than the
largest possible number in you column.

Please no one take offense, I'm just having fun!

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire