Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Ron is offline

Default Sort highest by name

I have 55 teams in A1 to A55.
I have their scores in B1 to B55.
Is there a way to list the scores (highest to lowest) but giving their team
names instead of all the numbers in order of the highest to the lowest?
Help Obe 1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Why don't you just sort this data by column B in descending order?

Select the range starting from cell B1 then just click the sort descending
button on the toolbar.

If you don't want to sort the data then you could use a formula. Are there
any tie scores? What type of values are the scores? Are they whole numbers?
Decimals?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Ron" wrote in message
I have 55 teams in A1 to A55.
I have their scores in B1 to B55.
Is there a way to list the scores (highest to lowest) but giving their
team
names instead of all the numbers in order of the highest to the lowest?
Help Obe 1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Ron is offline

Hi Bill,
The scores are percentages. It's possible to have a tie but not if I had 2
decimal points to the percentages. I tried explaining as simply as possible
but I actually misled you. There is other data in columns and formulas in
some. It says, when I try to sort,"The operation requires merged cells to be
sized.". I was hoping that I could use a formula to avoid mixing other info.
Hope I'm clear. Ron

"Ron" wrote in message
I have 55 teams in A1 to A55.
I have their scores in B1 to B55.
Is there a way to list the scores (highest to lowest) but giving their
team
names instead of all the numbers in order of the highest to the lowest?
Help Obe 1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Assume you want the results to appear starting in cell E1.

Enter this array formula** in cell E1 and copy down to E55:

=INDEX(A$1:A$55,MATCH(LARGE(B$1:B$55-ROW(B$1:B$55)/10^10,ROWS(E$1:E1)),B$1:B$55-ROW(B$1:B$55)/10^10,0))

key then hit ENTER.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Ron" wrote in message
I have 55 teams in A1 to A55.
I have their scores in B1 to B55.
Is there a way to list the scores (highest to lowest) but giving their
team
names instead of all the numbers in order of the highest to the lowest?
Help Obe 1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Ron is offline

Beautiful! That is working just like I had imagined.
Thanks to all who helped with this.
Ron

"Ron" wrote in message
I have 55 teams in A1 to A55.
I have their scores in B1 to B55.
Is there a way to list the scores (highest to lowest) but giving their
team
names instead of all the numbers in order of the highest to the lowest?
Help Obe 1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote:

Assume you want the results to appear starting in cell E1.

Enter this array formula** in cell E1 and copy down to E55:

=INDEX(A$1:A$55,MATCH(LARGE(B$1:B$55-ROW(B$1:B$55)/10^10,ROWS(E$1:E1)),B$1:B$55-ROW(B$1:B$55)/10^10,0))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER). Hold down both the CTRL key and the
SHIFT
key then hit ENTER.

--
Biff