Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How do I rename columns in Excel 2003?

How do I rename columns in Excel 2003?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Columns are either assigned letters:
column A
or numbers:
column 1

You can make a meaningful name in two ways:

1. use the first row as a column header and put your names in there

2. assign a Defined Name to the column - this will allow you to used
=SUM(costs) instead of =SUM(A:A)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200825

How do I rename columns in Excel 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

What do you mean rename them? They are assigned column letters (or numbers
if R1C1 style) by Excel.

You could turn off column headings and put your preferred heading in row 1,
but the column will still be column C etc.

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"chimala" wrote in message
How do I rename columns in Excel 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

The columns names are by default you can change them to R1C1 style but you
cannot rename them.
In case you wish to put your own names then select Row 1 of the column and
name them as desired.
In case you wish to put R1C1 reference style then go to
ToolsOptionsGeneral Tab and check the box of R1C1 reference styleok.
By doing this you will see that the column name will change to numbers like
1,2,3 etc
--
Thanks
Suleman Peerzade