Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Fixed Decimal QHelp

I am using and learning Excel 2003. I checked fixed decimals and checked two
decimals in the options box of the tools menu. The fix word then appears in
the lower right hand corner of the screen. The following is my problem: I was
taught that by putting a period after a whole number and hitting enter the
number will be added to the cell as a whole number and not with a two decimal
entry. Example being...input 1009. into a cell and then press enter. The
result in the cell should be 1009 but I keep getting 10.09 . I thought that
by putting the period after the whole number indicates that the entry will be
the whole number and not a decimal entry. I haven't changed anything else
on my computer or the Excel program. It seems that the fixed decimal function
is not recognizing the period that I place after the whole number.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

With Fixed and 2 stet, I can't duplicate your problem, if I type 12 I get
0.12. If I type 12. I get 12.

Check your regional settings, is your decimal separator . or ,? Look under
Tools, Options, International and check Use system separators. Then check
windows defaults and see what Windows is using.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire