Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Carla

Default Fixed Decimal Question

Maybe this is how it's supposed to work, but my client says it's not. She has
fixed decimal set under tools, options with 2 decimal places. However she
said in the past she could type 25. and it would show up as 25.00 and if she
typed 25 it would show up as .25 but now either way she types it the result
is .25 and she wants it to be the way it used to be. So my question is what
is the best way to do this and how is it supposed to work?

Thanks,
Carla
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Carla,

Methinks your client has poor memory. What you see is what is intended.

You probably need to format the cell as Number, with 2 dec places,
FormatCellsNumber.

--

HTH

RP

"Carla" wrote in message
Maybe this is how it's supposed to work, but my client says it's not. She

has
fixed decimal set under tools, options with 2 decimal places. However she
said in the past she could type 25. and it would show up as 25.00 and if

she
typed 25 it would show up as .25 but now either way she types it the

result
is .25 and she wants it to be the way it used to be. So my question is

what
is the best way to do this and how is it supposed to work?

Thanks,
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

MS changed this behavior in xl2003 (I think).

Tell her to type 25.0 to get the whole number.

I use xl2003 SP2
and I can type 25. and the value in the cell is 25.
(I'm not sure if the behavior changed back with one of the service packs.)

Carla wrote:

Maybe this is how it's supposed to work, but my client says it's not. She has
fixed decimal set under tools, options with 2 decimal places. However she
said in the past she could type 25. and it would show up as 25.00 and if she
typed 25 it would show up as .25 but now either way she types it the result
is .25 and she wants it to be the way it used to be. So my question is what
is the best way to do this and how is it supposed to work?

Thanks,
Carla

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Duke Carey

Well, in some brief experimentation on XL2002, the only way I was able to
enter 25. and have it converted to a value of .25 was if the range were
formatted as %.

Using straight Fixed Decimals & 2 places, 25. was accepted as 25.00. So
long as she appends the period to the digits she enters, it would APPEAR that
Excel treats the entry as integers, not as decimals.

In other words, I'm skeptical about your client's claim

"Carla" wrote:

It was formatted as general.

"Duke Carey" wrote:

does she have the range formatted as Percent?

"Carla" wrote:

Maybe this is how it's supposed to work, but my client says it's not. She has
fixed decimal set under tools, options with 2 decimal places. However she
said in the past she could type 25. and it would show up as 25.00 and if she
typed 25 it would show up as .25 but now either way she types it the result
is .25 and she wants it to be the way it used to be. So my question is what
is the best way to do this and how is it supposed to work?

Thanks,
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Duke, if her client is using 2003 it works that way, in 2003 you need to
enter 25.0 to get 25

Peo

"Duke Carey" wrote in message
Well, in some brief experimentation on XL2002, the only way I was able to
enter 25. and have it converted to a value of .25 was if the range were
formatted as %.

Using straight Fixed Decimals & 2 places, 25. was accepted as 25.00. So
long as she appends the period to the digits she enters, it would APPEAR

that
Excel treats the entry as integers, not as decimals.

In other words, I'm skeptical about your client's claim

"Carla" wrote:

It was formatted as general.

"Carla" wrote:

Maybe this is how it's supposed to work, but my client says it's

not. She has
fixed decimal set under tools, options with 2 decimal places.

However she
said in the past she could type 25. and it would show up as 25.00

and if she
typed 25 it would show up as .25 but now either way she types it the

result
is .25 and she wants it to be the way it used to be. So my question

is what
is the best way to do this and how is it supposed to work?

Thanks,
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I could enter 25. (with the dot) and get 25, also.

Was this changed in SP2 of xl2003?

(I remember having to type 25.0 in either xl2003 or xl2003 SP1--am I remembering
incorrectly??)

"Duke Carey" wrote in message
Well, in some brief experimentation on XL2002, the only way I was able to
enter 25. and have it converted to a value of .25 was if the range were
formatted as %.

Using straight Fixed Decimals & 2 places, 25. was accepted as 25.00. So
long as she appends the period to the digits she enters, it would APPEAR

that
Excel treats the entry as integers, not as decimals.

In other words, I'm skeptical about your client's claim

"Carla" wrote:

It was formatted as general.

"Carla" wrote:

Maybe this is how it's supposed to work, but my client says it's

not. She has
fixed decimal set under tools, options with 2 decimal places.

However she
said in the past she could type 25. and it would show up as 25.00

and if she
typed 25 it would show up as .25 but now either way she types it the

result
is .25 and she wants it to be the way it used to be. So my question

is what
is the best way to do this and how is it supposed to work?

Thanks,
Carla

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Duke

ToolsOptionsEdit. Check "Fixed Decimals" and set for 2.

Enter 25 and you will get .25

Enter 25. and you will get 25

XL 97, 2002 and 2003

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:13:28 -0800, "Duke Carey"
wrote:

Well, in some brief experimentation on XL2002, the only way I was able to
enter 25. and have it converted to a value of .25 was if the range were
formatted as %.

Using straight Fixed Decimals & 2 places, 25. was accepted as 25.00. So
long as she appends the period to the digits she enters, it would APPEAR that
Excel treats the entry as integers, not as decimals.

In other words, I'm skeptical about your client's claim

"Carla" wrote:

It was formatted as general.

"Carla" wrote:

Maybe this is how it's supposed to work, but my client says it's not. She has
fixed decimal set under tools, options with 2 decimal places. However she
said in the past she could type 25. and it would show up as 25.00 and if she
typed 25 it would show up as .25 but now either way she types it the result
is .25 and she wants it to be the way it used to be. So my question is what
is the best way to do this and how is it supposed to work?

Thanks,
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you click "Tools" options Edit. Check "Fixed Decimal" and set "Places"
to zero. This will allow you to get numbers as you typed them. Type "25,"
you get "25." Type "25.00," you get "25.00," etc. This applies to Excell
2003 but will undoubtedly work with earlier versions.

"Papasan" wrote:

"Carla" wrote:

Maybe this is how it's supposed to work, but my client says it's not. She has
fixed decimal set under tools, options with 2 decimal places. However she
said in the past she could type 25. and it would show up as 25.00 and if she
typed 25 it would show up as .25 but now either way she types it the result
is .25 and she wants it to be the way it used to be. So my question is what
is the best way to do this and how is it supposed to work?

Thanks,
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Carla

Your client is correct if running 2003 version and I think 2002 also.

With FD enabled and set to 2 DP you can override this by adding the DP to the
number as your client states.

25. returns 25.00 if cell formatted as number or 25 if cell formatted as
General

25 returns 0.25 with either formatting.

Why not working............??

Maybe HelpDetect and Repair?