Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Finding the type with the highest overall value.

Hi

I am fairly sure this can be done but I don't know how.

I have three columns of data in a sheet. Column A holds the names of
individuals, Column B holds a number which represents that individual's score
and column C holds a letter which shows the group (team) that the individual
belongs to.

Tom 2 A
Ann 3 B
Jim 1 A
May 5 B

I have a formula which shows the individual with the highest score.
I just need a formula (maybe an array would do it, i'm not sure) that will
show the group with the highest overall score.

There are actually 13 teams and 130 people.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

This is a perfect time to learn about Pivot Tables
Read these and return if more answers needed

http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-pivot-tables.htm
http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/pivottbls/index.htm
http://www.dicks-blog.com/archives/2...le-parameters/

OR
With A, B, C ... etc (all tem names) in column E (E1 has value A, E2 has B,
etc)
In F1 enter =SUMIF(C:C,E1,B:B)
Copy down to end of E values
Find team with max score using =INDEX(E:E,MATCH(MAX(F:F),F:F,0))
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP