Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
dk dk is offline

Default Find replace

We have a column that has first names sometimes last names we have another
column with last names you would like to remove all last names from column a
which is the first names column how can we do that?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Select Column A
Choose Text to Columns and choose the delimiter (most likely space or comma)

"dk" wrote:

We have a column that has first names sometimes last names we have another
column with last names you would like to remove all last names from column a
which is the first names column how can we do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

dk wrote:
We have a column that has first names sometimes last names we have another
column with last names you would like to remove all last names from column a
which is the first names column how can we do that?

Hi dk,

How can you know the difference between a first and last name?

E.g.,

James Simon
Simon James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
dk dk is offline

To basic idea is if the word in the first name is the same as the last name
just
delete the word in this first name column data to text wouldn't work
because we have sometimes three words in column a sometimes 2 and sometimes 1

"smartin" wrote:

dk wrote:
We have a column that has first names sometimes last names we have another
column with last names you would like to remove all last names from column a
which is the first names column how can we do that?

Hi dk,

How can you know the difference between a first and last name?

E.g.,

James Simon
Simon James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

In C1, try something like

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1,"")

and copy down.

Dave

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10356893.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
dk dk is offline

Does not seem to be working its copies from column from column a to column c,
we would like to remove the data from column a if it appears in column c
Hi,

In C1, try something like

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1,"")

and copy down.

Dave

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10356893.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
dk dk is offline

Please understand that sometimes we have three words in column a and the
third word can be their last name in the first name field, sometimes the
second word is the last name, and sometimes is only a last name in the first
name field