Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How do you merge multible rows of a table?

I have input a bunch of data that is a name followed by other information.
The other information is contained over more than one row, address etc. I
need to sort this info by different columns so I would like to make it a
table but when I do each row is a different row in the table the result being
that when i sort I lose half of my info.
Suggestions please, thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Since you don't show us what your data looks like its all guesswork:

Suppose that Name is in column A but only on the first row of data for John
Jones, while the next two lines under name are blank but his data.

1. Select all the cells in the Name column down to the bottom of your data.
2. Press F5, Special, Blanks
3. Type =, up arrow, Ctrl+Enter (I'm using commas to separate the
commands, up arrow is done from the keyboard)
This fills in all the missing names. Select the all the entries in the name
column and Copy, then choose Edit, Paste Special, Values.

If this doesn't work we need to know the data layout.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"DaveK" wrote:

I have input a bunch of data that is a name followed by other information.
The other information is contained over more than one row, address etc. I
need to sort this info by different columns so I would like to make it a
table but when I do each row is a different row in the table the result being
that when i sort I lose half of my info.
Suggestions please, thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks for your reply. That works but it has a few issues with it. Firstly
it ads the cell values in multipliable locations one under the other, which I
don't want. And the banding in the table stays the same instead of having
the same banding for each entry.

Business Name Region Website Physical Address Mailing Address
Watson & Son Wellington watsonandson.co.nz 10 Pragnell Street
Marsterdon
Torpedo7 Hamilton torpedo7.co.nz PO Box 5672
Digital Island Comunications Auckland digitalisland.co.nz Level 1, 18
Normanby Road
Mt Eden, Auckland
Merino Kids Auckland merinokids.co.nz 155 Jervois Road
Herne Bay
Auckland, New Zealand
Particle Systems Christchurch previewstreamtime.com/nz/ Level 6, Vero House
Cnr Oxford Terrace & Hereford Street
Box 4480, Christchurch
The Results Group Wellington results.co.nz Level 4, 44 Victoria Street PO
Box 54 050
Wellington Wellington 5247
TrioDent Katikati triodent.com 15 Talisman Drive, Katikati 3129 P O Box 33,
Katikati, Katikati 3166
NextWindow Auckland nextwindow.com 13-15 College Hill, Ponsonby PO Box 91383
Victoria Street West
Auckland 1142, New Zealand Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Winslow Ltd Auckland winslowltd.co.nz 605 Main South Road, State Highway 1 P
O Box 125, Ashburton
Winslow, Ashburton
Mobile Mentor Auckland mobile-mentor.com
4D Steel Detailing Ltd Christchurch steel-detailing.com Medlab Building PO
Box 13-772
Level 4, 137 Kilmore St Christchurch

I have tried to cut a pase some of my data here but it doesn't really show
what I mean very well, is there a better way to upload and example? But what
you can see is, the first line is my heading, the second line starts with a
customer name followed by their address (which may take up more than one cell
on multipliable rows) and then other information which includes different
contacts within each organisation. i need to be able to sort by business
name or region so I would like to group everything else inside the table. I
could have done this if I started it as a table but I just had the raw data
and don't want to have to re-enter it.

thanks again.