Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Newbie needs info on a "new" start!

I will try to make this as simple as possible. I have an Excel worksheet for
the year 2008 and among the data, there are closed and finished accounts. If
I want to start a new datasheet for 2009 and only bring over the open
accounts, how do I do that (in baby terms please).
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Choose Data|Filter
Filter on the Col with status with status as closed
Press F5 key, click on Special as select 'Visible Cells' only
Edit|Copy and Paste in the new sheet

--
Always provide your feedback so that others know whether the solution worked
or problem still persists ...

"Terri" wrote:

I will try to make this as simple as possible. I have an Excel worksheet for
the year 2008 and among the data, there are closed and finished accounts. If
I want to start a new datasheet for 2009 and only bring over the open
accounts, how do I do that (in baby terms please).
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Slight additions to previous answer:
The answer presupposes that your data has a column that indicates that an
account is opened or closed:

1, Select the range where your data is including the titles
2. Choose the command Data, Filter, Auto Filter (slight correction from
3. You will see drop down arrows at the top of each of the selected
columns, on your title row.
4. Open the one over the column that contains information which indicates
whether the account is open or closed. Pick the "open" choice from this list
- I don't know what that is since you didn't show us a sample of the data.
5. Select all the cell you can see and choose Copy.
6. Move to the new sheet and choose Paste

Note you do not need to use the command Edit, Go To, Special, Visible Cells
only.

I hope this has been in "baby steps" since that's what you asked for.

Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Terri" wrote:

I will try to make this as simple as possible. I have an Excel worksheet for
the year 2008 and among the data, there are closed and finished accounts. If
I want to start a new datasheet for 2009 and only bring over the open
accounts, how do I do that (in baby terms please).
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Shane:

Here is the story - there area 4 columns.
Name
Date Emailed
Date Paid
Date Shipped

I do not have anything showing Open or Closed and would be happy to do that
to prepare this if you let me know what to do. So - basically, what I want
is to copy ONLY those that have NOTHING in the 4th (Date Shipped) column. I
can add a 5th column if you wish me to with either open or closed ....

Thanks again!

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote in
message ...