Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Can I save formats like hidden columns...

.... and row heights and orders of columns, so I can call them up at a later
time?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Laurel

I would open a new workbook and delete all except for Sheet1
I would create the sheet as I wanted it, with all the various columns, row
heights etc., but with no data and save this as a Template
with FileSave asTemplatesMySheet

Then when required, InsertSheetMySheet

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Laurel" wrote in message
... and row heights and orders of columns, so I can call them up at a
later time?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks. I'm using Office 2007, so I had to go to HELP to figure out how to
create and use a template instead of following your script. But this didn't
tell me how to use a template on an existing workbook. In other words, it
seems like it's only good for starting a new workbook. The HELP I used is
below. Any ideas?

Create and use an Excel template
Show All
Hide All
To save time or to promote standardization, you can save a workbook as a
template (template: A workbook that you create and use as the basis for
other similar workbooks. You can create templates for workbooks and
worksheets. The default template for workbooks is called Book.xlt. The
default template for worksheets is called Sheet.xlt.) that you can use to
create other workbooks. In Microsoft Office Excel 2007, a template file
(.xltx) can include data and formatting, and a macro-enabled template file
(.xltm) can also include macros (macro: An action or a set of actions that
you can use to automate tasks. Macros are recorded in the Visual Basic for
Applications programming language.).

You can use one of your own templates to create a new workbook, or you can
use one of the many predefined templates that you can download from
Microsoft Office Online.

What do you want to do?

a.. Create a template
a.. Use a template to create a new workbook

Create a template
1.. Open the workbook that you want to use as a template.
2.. Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Save As.
3.. In the File name box, type the name that you want to use for the
template.
4.. In the Save as type box, click Excel Template, or click Excel
Macro-Enabled Template if the workbook contains macros that you want to make
available in the template.
5.. Click Save.
The template is automatically placed in the Templates folder to ensure
that it will be available when you want to use it to create a new workbook.

Tip You can copy any Excel workbook into the Templates folder, then you
can use the workbook as a template without saving it in the template file
format (.xltx or .xltm). In Windows Vista, the Templates folder is usually
C:\Users\<your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates. In Microsoft
Windows XP, the Templates folder is usually C:\Documents and Settings\<your
name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.

Top of Page

Use a template to create a new workbook
1.. Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click New.
2.. Under Templates, do one of the following:
a.. To base the workbook on a recently used template, click Blank and
recent, and then under Recently Used Templates, double-click the template
that you want to use.
b.. To base the workbook on an installed template, click Installed
Templates, and then under Installed Templates, double-click the template
that you want to use.
c.. To base the workbook on a template that you created, click My
templates, and then on the My Templates tab, double-click the template that
you want to use.
d.. To base the workbook on another workbook, click New from Existing,
and then double-click the workbook that you want to use.
Tip When you are connected to the Internet, you can also access templates
that are available from Office Online. Under Microsoft Office Online, click
a template category, and then under that category, double-click the template
that you want to download. If the template that you want to download has
been supplied by a member of the Microsoft Office Online Community, you must
click I accept to accept the License Agreement for Community Templates Terms
of Use before you can download that template.

Top of Page

"Laurel" wrote in message
... and row heights and orders of columns, so I can call them up at a
later time?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Laurel

It will work the same as in XL2003.
Create the sheet you want as mentioned previously, starting from a new
workbook with a single sheet.
Round Office ButtonSave AsExcel WorkbookSave as TypeExcel Templategive
it a NameOK
Close the file just created

To use, in any new workbook, right click on Sheet tabInsertselect your
templaterename sheet to whatever you want.

Do note that if you have an old xls file that you have loaded in
Compatability mode in XL2007, you will not be able to insert your 2007 excel
template sheet. You would need to have created one in XL2003 and have
available in your Templates folder.
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Laurel" wrote in message
... and row heights and orders of columns, so I can call them up at a
later time?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Ah. Never thought to right mouse on the Sheet tabs at the bottom.

This time, however, I get this message:
"Excel cannot insert the sheets into the destination workbook (although
my template has only 1 sheet, as per your instructions), because it contains
fewer rows and columns than the source workbook. To move or copy the data
to the destination workbook, you can select the data, and then use the Copy
and Paste commands to insert it into the sheets of another workbook."

Well, of course it does, because the idea was to preserve the "hidden"
attributes of certain columns. I don't know how it counts rows after one
has deleted all data, but I did that on the template to.

More ideas?

"Laurel" wrote in message
... and row heights and orders of columns, so I can call them up at a
later time?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

For the OP, see also
http://www.rondebruin.nl/sheettemplate.htm

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Laurel" wrote in message
... and row heights and orders of columns, so I can call them up at a
later time?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Interesting, but I don't see how it tells me how to switch from template to
template on the same sheet. For instance, sometimes I only want to work
with columns A, D, F and G. Other times I want to work with columns A,B,C.
Sometimes I want the rows quite high. Other times not. But always working
with the same set of data. Am I not seeing something?

"Laurel" wrote in message
... and row heights and orders of columns, so I can call them up at a
later time?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Laurel

I don't understand why it isn't working for you.
I created a dummy template where I hid columns B:E and rows 10:23.
I set the width on columns A and F to 6 x normal width, made Row 1 double
height and row 2 4 x height.
Having saved it as my template MySheet.xlt, I can right click on any sheet
tabInsertSelect Mysheet and it imports absolutely fine.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Laurel" wrote in message
... and row heights and orders of columns, so I can call them up at a
later time?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Laurel

Try ViewCustom Views for creating different views you can switch to.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP