Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default NEED A FORMULA

I need some help. I am a beginner level excel user. I need to write a basic
formula that has 2 conditions. I am trying to count the numer of times H
(meaning home) appears in a cell, lets say A1, if it does then what is the
difference between cells A3 and A4 (A3-A4). Could someone please help me,
thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Vague, but perhaps this, in say B1:
=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("H",A1)),A3-A4,"")
--
Max
Singapore
"gantz4" wrote:
I need some help. I am a beginner level excel user. I need to write a basic
formula that has 2 conditions. I am trying to count the numer of times H
(meaning home) appears in a cell, lets say A1, if it does then what is the
difference between cells A3 and A4 (A3-A4). Could someone please help me,
thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

That depends on what you are really asking:

If you are simply checking for the letter "H" in the cell then the formula
would be
=IF(A1="h",A3-A4,"")

If you are trying to determine if the letter "H" is anywhere in the contents
of cell A1 then
=IF(ISERR(FIND("h",A1)),"",A3-A4)

There is also a way to do it with the SUMIF function.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire