Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default how to? custom worksheet function using VBA

hello. new user here.

Is it possible to create "custom" worksheet functions in VBA in Excel 2007?

I used to do this quite easily in Excel 5. I can't find how to do this in
the new version.

This MS article doesn't seem to work for the 2007:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I don't have Excel 2007, but doesn't it work the same way? You just
put the UDF in a standard code module in the workbook where it's going
to be used. For example:

Function MySum(intNum1 As Integer, intNum2 As Integer) As Integer
MySum = intNum1 + intNum2
End Function

Then just put "=MySum(1,2)" in your worksheet cell.

??

--JP

On Sep 19, 10:01*pm, "Fred Allen" wrote:
hello. new user here.

Is it possible to create "custom" worksheet functions in VBA in Excel 2007?

I used to do this quite easily in Excel 5. I can't find how to do this in
the new version.

This MS article doesn't seem to work for the 2007:http://office.microsoft..com/en-us/e...548461033.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I did just that, and that is what the MS article says. So at least I know I
am on the right track (with VBA UDF, which operate differently than the old
XLM UDF). I guess it is some trick in Excel 2007 (or Vista).

Thank you for confirming how I thought it was supposed to work. That does
help!

"JP" wrote in message
I don't have Excel 2007, but doesn't it work the same way? You just
put the UDF in a standard code module in the workbook where it's going
to be used. For example:

Function MySum(intNum1 As Integer, intNum2 As Integer) As Integer
MySum = intNum1 + intNum2
End Function

Then just put "=MySum(1,2)" in your worksheet cell.

??

--JP

On Sep 19, 10:01 pm, "Fred Allen" wrote:
hello. new user here.

Is it possible to create "custom" worksheet functions in VBA in Excel
2007?

I used to do this quite easily in Excel 5. I can't find how to do this in
the new version.

This MS article doesn't seem to work for the
2007:http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...548461033.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Sorry Fred, I just realized your first post mentioned Excel 5, where
the method for creating UDFs might have been radically different. Yes
you put the code in a standard module by pressing Alt-F11 to access
the VBIDE, then going to Insert Module in the workbook in which you
want to use the function.