Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default When I enter numbers, they show up as dates

I need to enter the following value: 1-99
Whever i enter it, excel changes it to Jan-99. I have tried formatting the
cell to the general format, different number formats, etc., but the same
thing keeps happening. I do not want to change the format to "text" in case
i need to make graphs/charts from the data. Any help would be much
appreciated. Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Precede them with an apostrophe ' or preformat the cell as text,
This helpfulness from Excel has always annoyed me guessing that anything
with a hyphen or a slash must be a date.

Peo Sjoblom

"hungrypo" wrote in message
I need to enter the following value: 1-99
Whever i enter it, excel changes it to Jan-99. I have tried formatting
the
cell to the general format, different number formats, etc., but the same
thing keeps happening. I do not want to change the format to "text" in
case
i need to make graphs/charts from the data. Any help would be much
appreciated. Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

No, because 1-99 is not a number according to Excel,
but I don't see why you would want to do that. The only reason
would be if you want to make numerical calculations and since
it is not a legit number in that regard it doesn't matter. If you need to
display
a string as numbers for display only text would be enough.
If you need it for some table where numbers between 1 and 99 should be
treated equally and then you have like 100-199 you need to put them into
separate cells like

1
99
199