Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Can I use Sort to alphabetize & leave blank row bet. rows (2003)

I am constantly adding names & phones #'s, etc. to a data sheet I have so I
need to re-alphabetize each time I add one. I had a space between each row,
but when I hit the Sort button, it lumps all the spaces together! Help,
please!
Sandy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

*Hidden* rows don't sort.

Select your datalist and hit <F5,
Click on "Special", and click on "Blanks", then <OK.

From the "Menu Bar",
<Format <Row <Hide

Select the visible cells of the datalist, and sort as desired.

Then, again from the "Menu Bar",
<Format <Row <UNHide

And you're done!
--
HTH,

RD

"Sandy" wrote in message
I am constantly adding names & phones #'s, etc. to a data sheet I have so

need to re-alphabetize each time I add one. I had a space between each

row,
but when I hit the Sort button, it lumps all the spaces together! Help,
please!
Sandy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You cannot sort without having the blank rows bunch together.

If the blank rows are just for spacing, I would suggest removing them and
doubling the height of each row.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 18 May 2008 06:46:01 -0700, Sandy
wrote:

I am constantly adding names & phones #'s, etc. to a data sheet I have so I
need to re-alphabetize each time I add one. I had a space between each row,
but when I hit the Sort button, it lumps all the spaces together! Help,
please!
Sandy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

After completing the sort, run this macro which assumes that column A is
being used:

Sub empties()
n = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
For i = 2 To 2 * n Step 2
Rows(i).Insert
Next

Gary''s Student - gsnu200787

"Sandy" wrote:

I am constantly adding names & phones #'s, etc. to a data sheet I have so I
need to re-alphabetize each time I add one. I had a space between each row,
but when I hit the Sort button, it lumps all the spaces together! Help,
please!
Sandy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Perhaps a "low tech" solution might be appropriate....

If the blank rows are only spacers to make the data more visible
you could remove all of the blank rows and just double the row heights.
The effect would be the same.

If that's acceptable....An easy way to remove the blank rows:
Select the single-column range of names
Press [F5].......a shortcut for <edit<goto
Click: [Specal..]
Check: Blanks
Click [OK]
(now the blank cells are selected)