Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Conditional formatting help

Hi,

I can't figure out the way I should create this conditional formatting. It's
probably very simple though.

If a cell, let's say J5, is empty for three days, then the background of
cell A5 turns red.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Any 72 consecutive hours?

Starting when?

What if someone entered something then deleted it an hour later?

Would that re-start the three day period?

You would need some type of event code to watch J5 to reset the counter in that
case.

I don't think it is "probably very simple" but I may be over-reading this or you
have not described exactly what you want.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:30:54 -0400, "Edward" wrote:

Hi,

I can't figure out the way I should create this conditional formatting. It's
probably very simple though.

If a cell, let's say J5, is empty for three days, then the background of
cell A5 turns red.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks for responding.
I believe you're right. In my attempt to make it easier, I probably did
complicated it instead.
This is what I really need. Maybe this is actually easier:

Cell A5 would be the date that I placed an order.
Cell J5 would be the date that the order was completed.
If three days go by and the order has not been complete, I would like A5 to
change color to bring attention to the fact that a completed date has not
been entered in J5.

I've attempted this with conditional formatting and have had no luck.

Again, thank you very much for reading.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Edward
Maybe I'm way off but have you tried this ( =J5A5+3 ) it will change red
after or on the third day, just change the number 3 to your choice.
Regards
Cimjet

"Edward" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Edward,
I think this is the formula you need in the conditional formatting of A5
=AND($J$5="",$A$5<TODAY()-3)
Remember to set your desired format.
Regards - Dave.