Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default how to edit cells

Hi,

There used to be a field at the top of the excel worksheet in which I could
edit a cell's
contents. It has dsisappeared and no matter what I try in Help, I can't find
it.
As it is now, the only way I can change the contents of a cell is by
retyping everything
in the cell. I cant place the cursor into a cell and change one letter only.
Help does mention the formula bar but it doesn't tell you where to find it.

Sincerely,

Ralf Dieckmann
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I cant place the cursor into a cell and change one letter only.

With a cell selected: F2 should put the editing cursor in-cell.

F2 is also useful in some dialog boxes. For instance, when editing RefersTo:
addresses in the Names dialog, F2 will get you out of PointTo mode and into
Edit mode. Getting out of PointTo mode allows you to use left-right arrow
keys to move around the too-narrow input area without creating a mess of the
reference.

--
HTH,
George