Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
SM SM is offline

Default Sum of values for a month

Simple query that's probably been asked a million times before so it might
be easier just to point me in the direction of a website that deals with
Excel functions for dimwits.

But my query is this....
I have a simple spreadsheet with the following columns :

Date (A), Description (B), Income (C), Expense (D), Balance (E).

I want a summary of it all at the bottom of the sheet so that for a row
entry of "April 2008" it will look to see all the income entries in April
2008 and total them up. Similarly in the next column on the same row there
should be a total for expenses for April 2008. The next row will be May 2008
etc.

These particular rows will be shoved further down the spreadsheet as more
rows are added with each new entry.

I use the SUMIF function elsewhere but this doesn't apperar to be much use
in this situation.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
SM SM is offline

"SM" wrote in message
Simple query that's probably been asked a million times before so it might
be easier just to point me in the direction of a website that deals with
Excel functions for dimwits.

But my query is this....
I have a simple spreadsheet with the following columns :

Date (A), Description (B), Income (C), Expense (D), Balance (E).

I want a summary of it all at the bottom of the sheet so that for a row
entry of "April 2008" it will look to see all the income entries in April
2008 and total them up. Similarly in the next column on the same row there
should be a total for expenses for April 2008. The next row will be May
2008 etc.

These particular rows will be shoved further down the spreadsheet as more
rows are added with each new entry.

I use the SUMIF function elsewhere but this doesn't apperar to be much use
in this situation.

Thanks.

Solved my own problem - just created another column and hid it from view. In
this I used the MONTH function and did the SUMIF on this instead.