Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Averaging only the non-zero entries in a row?

Office Excel 2007

Is there a way to find the average of column of figures EXCLUDING any row
that has a zero in it?

I have a column of figures. Each row corresponds to a day, and each day a
new row is added. Some rows have a zero value entered, while the others have
a non-zero number.

Finding the average of the entire row is, I know, easy. =AVERAGE(A1:A100),
for example. However, is there an easy way to exclude cells within the
A1:A100 range that have a zero, so that the I get the sum of the non-zero
rows, divided by the number of rows with non-zero entries?

Many thanks.

Ken Isaacson
SILENT COUNSEL, a legal thriller
www.KenIsaacson.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 09:01:54 -0400, "Ken"
wrote:

Office Excel 2007

Is there a way to find the average of column of figures EXCLUDING any row
that has a zero in it?

I have a column of figures. Each row corresponds to a day, and each day a
new row is added. Some rows have a zero value entered, while the others have
a non-zero number.

Finding the average of the entire row is, I know, easy. =AVERAGE(A1:A100),
for example. However, is there an easy way to exclude cells within the
A1:A100 range that have a zero, so that the I get the sum of the non-zero
rows, divided by the number of rows with non-zero entries?

Many thanks.

Ken Isaacson
SILENT COUNSEL, a legal thriller
www.KenIsaacson.com

Since you mention Excel 2007, one of the new functions is AVERAGEIF.

So: =AVERAGEIF(A1:A100,"<0")

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,
By the way, in XL 2000 (and maybe other versions) I have found that AVERAGE
ignores blank cells when working on a range of cells. However, if a cell
value is 0 (zero) then it is included in the calculation, and affects the
result.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
DB. DB. is offline

"Dave" wrote in message
By the way, in XL 2000 (and maybe other versions) I have found that
AVERAGE
ignores blank cells when working on a range of cells. However, if a
cell
value is 0 (zero) then it is included in the calculation, and affects
the
result.

Yes, I'm finding that Excel 2003 behaves like that, too.

--
DB.