Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Multiplying one known number with fluctuating numbers in cells

This should be really easy, but I am very elementary with formulas. I can
add and subtract two numbers basically.

Okay, I made a spreadsheet to figure taxes. I need to figure the sales tax
on my gasoline receipts. So I need to multiply .384 by different numbers
(from each receipt) ..... and yes, I'm running late with taxes! :-)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Enter .384 in a cell, say A1

Enter the numbers from your receipts in a column, say B

In C1 enter =B1*$A$1

Drag/copy down as far as you need.

Note the $ signs to keep A1 Absolute so's it does not change.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 00:50:00 -0700, Georgia
wrote:

This should be really easy, but I am very elementary with formulas. I can
add and subtract two numbers basically.

Okay, I made a spreadsheet to figure taxes. I need to figure the sales tax
on my gasoline receipts. So I need to multiply .384 by different numbers
(from each receipt) ..... and yes, I'm running late with taxes! :-)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you so much for your help, I just finished my taxes and I am taking
them in tomorrow! Thank goodness it's almost over. You and Mike H have been
of great help. (I mispelled your name in the reply to Mike H. Sorry about
that.) Thanks again.
--
Georgia

wrote:

This should be really easy, but I am very elementary with formulas. I can
add and subtract two numbers basically.

Okay, I made a spreadsheet to figure taxes. I need to figure the sales tax
on my gasoline receipts. So I need to multiply .384 by different numbers
(from each receipt) ..... and yes, I'm running late with taxes! :-)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Maybe a misspelling but not a misrepresentation<g

Thanks for the feedback.

Good luck with the IRS