Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Cell content surrounded by quotes when saving as tab delimited for

When performing a "Save as" a "Tab (delimited)" file in Excel 2000, cells
contents that contain a comma are automatically surrounded by double quotes
(").

Is there a way to save a file in tab delimited format without Excel
automatically encapsulating text data that contain commas with double quotes?
This appears to be a known issue, but I have not been able to find a solution.

Tried to open the saved file in Note Pad and perform a find and replace, but
the file is too big and consequently freezes application.

Thanks, Jerry
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Supplemental:

Found a Microsoft Knowledge Article 104997 that specifically deals with this
issue called "Macro to Save Data as Tab-Delimited File without Quotes" at

However, I was not successful with same. Either there is a step missing or
it's too complicated for me to follow.

"Jerry" wrote:

When performing a "Save as" a "Tab (delimited)" file in Excel 2000, cells
contents that contain a comma are automatically surrounded by double quotes
(").

Is there a way to save a file in tab delimited format without Excel
automatically encapsulating text data that contain commas with double quotes?
This appears to be a known issue, but I have not been able to find a solution.

Tried to open the saved file in Note Pad and perform a find and replace, but
the file is too big and consequently freezes application.

Thanks, Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Maybe you could write your own exporting program that would behave exactly the
way you want:

Here are three sites that you could steal some code from:

Earl Kiosterud's Text Write program:
www.smokeylake.com/excel
(or directly: http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/text_write_program.htm)

Chip Pearson's:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm

J.E. McGimpsey's:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html

(or maybe you could build your own formula and copy|paste into Notepad.)

Check out Earl's Text Write program first. It may do exactly what you want
right out of the box.

--

Dave Peterson