Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default auto formating imported numbers

this is kinda novice question,

i am exported a file from UNIX in text format.

bascially i have figured out how to import and make the columns in excel. it
looks somthing like this:-

2.A) BALANCES WITH BANKS L.C. 21716183
B) BALANCES WITH BANKS F.C. 206691078
C) BALANCESWITH BRANCHES F.C 261096259

i need imported number in number columns to automatically change from e.g.
2176183 to 21,761.83 please bear in mind that the last 2 digits are 2 decimal
pnts.

i want to somehow convert the whole columns into above mentioned format i.e
last 2 number in devimal pnts so that my other workbook can automatically
pick up the data from respective feilds.

your help is most appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

All you have to do is divide your number by 100 and change the format for
number.

It will do the trick.
--
Yanick

"mika" wrote:

this is kinda novice question,

i am exported a file from UNIX in text format.

bascially i have figured out how to import and make the columns in excel. it
looks somthing like this:-

2.A) BALANCES WITH BANKS L.C. 21716183
B) BALANCES WITH BANKS F.C. 206691078
C) BALANCESWITH BRANCHES F.C 261096259

i need imported number in number columns to automatically change from e.g.
2176183 to 21,761.83 please bear in mind that the last 2 digits are 2 decimal
pnts.

i want to somehow convert the whole columns into above mentioned format i.e
last 2 number in devimal pnts so that my other workbook can automatically
pick up the data from respective feilds.

your help is most appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Put 100 in an empty cell
edit|copy

Select the range of numbers to reverse
Edit|paste special|check Divide and values.

Clear that cell with the 100 in it.

mika wrote:

this is kinda novice question,

i am exported a file from UNIX in text format.

bascially i have figured out how to import and make the columns in excel. it
looks somthing like this:-

2.A) BALANCES WITH BANKS L.C. 21716183
B) BALANCES WITH BANKS F.C. 206691078
C) BALANCESWITH BRANCHES F.C 261096259

i need imported number in number columns to automatically change from e.g.
2176183 to 21,761.83 please bear in mind that the last 2 digits are 2 decimal
pnts.

i want to somehow convert the whole columns into above mentioned format i.e
last 2 number in devimal pnts so that my other workbook can automatically
pick up the data from respective feilds.

your help is most appreciated

--

Dave Peterson