Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default CALCULATING DATES

can anyone help me! i have created a gantt chart, but having the following
problem: column A contains qty of days, column B is start date, column C is
end date. i have set column C so that it adds column A + column B to give me
an end date, but if there is no start date, the end date displays 05/01/00.
A B C
E.g: 6 + (05/12/07) = 10/12/07 ( formula i am using or (C ) is =A+B+1)
6 + ( ) = 05/01/00 ( i want this to remain blank until i
put a start date
in as i have copied the formula down the cells of column C
any ideas???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Change the formula in C1 to the following:

=IF(B1="","",A1+B1+1)

Then copy and paste down column C as far as you need it.

"spudpeeps" wrote:

can anyone help me! i have created a gantt chart, but having the following
problem: column A contains qty of days, column B is start date, column C is
end date. i have set column C so that it adds column A + column B to give me
an end date, but if there is no start date, the end date displays 05/01/00.
A B C
E.g: 6 + (05/12/07) = 10/12/07 ( formula i am using or (C ) is =A+B+1)
6 + ( ) = 05/01/00 ( i want this to remain blank until i
put a start date
in as i have copied the formula down the cells of column C
any ideas???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"spudpeeps" wrote:

can anyone help me! i have created a gantt chart, but having the following
problem: column A contains qty of days, column B is start date, column C is
end date. i have set column C so that it adds column A + column B to give me
an end date, but if there is no start date, the end date displays 05/01/00.
A B C
E.g: 6 + (05/12/07) = 10/12/07 ( formula i am using or (C ) is =A+B+1)
6 + ( ) = 05/01/00 ( i want this to remain blank until i
put a start date
in as i have copied the formula down the cells of column C
any ideas???

thank you so much
although this solved the above problem, it has now caused another problem,
my fault i did not say what i was working on, i have created a gantt chart
in excel
and use the start and end dates to calculate work progress and for every day
counted in the end date, a designated cell will be highlited through out the
month.
the above formula you have sent has caused the whole of the month to be
highlited,
what i want is for the whole range of cells for that month to also remain
blank until the start date is entered.....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Still not sure what you are trying to do. Can you explain the "range of
cells" by using cell examples and what they are to do. I may be able to help
you better then.
Also, explain your original formula: What is the qty of days and how do you
determine that value. Also, why is "1" added to the formula?

Thanks,
Les