-   -   Writing Search Macros (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/165517-writing-search-macros.html)

gwtechie72

Writing Search Macros

I have tried to submit questions before, and did get much help. I am going to
try this another way.

I am a supervise approx 15 to 20 techs, and on a daily basis I get data
emailed to me on a excel spreadsheet. This spreadsheet contains data for the
whole department ( 150 + techs). I want to design a macro that will only
search for my list of agents along with there stats, and place it on another
worksheet. Is this possible if so how. I am not familar with VB scripts or
macros. Any sites or tutorials will be helpful.

Don Guillett

Writing Search Macros

Look in the vba help index for FINDNEXT. There is a good example.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"gwtechie72" wrote in message
I have tried to submit questions before, and did get much help. I am going
try this another way.

I am a supervise approx 15 to 20 techs, and on a daily basis I get data
emailed to me on a excel spreadsheet. This spreadsheet contains data for
the
whole department ( 150 + techs). I want to design a macro that will only
search for my list of agents along with there stats, and place it on
another
worksheet. Is this possible if so how. I am not familar with VB scripts or
macros. Any sites or tutorials will be helpful.

gwtechie72

Writing Search Macros

ok , I am looking through the coding for the FINDNEXT. it states dim
varbookmark as variant. Does this mean the end of the row of data for a
specifice name?

"Don Guillett" wrote:

[...]

specifice name? Also are there any sites that can help me understand the terms of the coding?

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Look in the vba help index for FINDNEXT. There is a good example.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"gwtechie72" wrote in message
I have tried to submit questions before, and did get much help. I am going
try this another way.

I am a supervise approx 15 to 20 techs, and on a daily basis I get data
emailed to me on a excel spreadsheet. This spreadsheet contains data for
the
whole department ( 150 + techs). I want to design a macro that will only
search for my list of agents along with there stats, and place it on
another
worksheet. Is this possible if so how. I am not familar with VB scripts or
macros. Any sites or tutorials will be helpful.

Michael M

Writing Search Macros

Hi
If you have something common in your data, eg, office name, office no,
district, etc.
A macro will work OK, but its a bit hard to do without more information.
Another option, if you're not handy with VBA, is to do a sort of the data,
by say, one of the above criteria and then simply copy and paste to a new
sheet.
You can record a sort macro, which would speed things up a little.

HTH
Michael M

"Don Guillett" wrote:

[...]

In regards to your response sorting out takes way to much time. I am not
familar with the use of macros. I beleive I got the VB macro set, but I am
having problems due to security. How can I disable the security to run it, or
allow it to run without the security. I know it mentioned something about
digital signature.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Look in the vba help index for FINDNEXT. There is a good example.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"gwtechie72" wrote in message
I have tried to submit questions before, and did get much help. I am going
try this another way.

I am a supervise approx 15 to 20 techs, and on a daily basis I get data
emailed to me on a excel spreadsheet. This spreadsheet contains data for
the
whole department ( 150 + techs). I want to design a macro that will only
search for my list of agents along with there stats, and place it on
another
worksheet. Is this possible if so how. I am not familar with VB scripts or
macros. Any sites or tutorials will be helpful.

Max

Writing Search Macros

Perhaps a simple INDEX/MATCH would serve your intents just as well?

Assuming source data is in a sheet: x, in cols A to C, data from row2 down
where col A = staff ids, cols B to C contain other data

In another sheet,
You have your staff ids list in A2 down

Place in B2:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH($A2,x!$A:$A,0)),"",INDEX(x!B:B,MATC H($A2,x!$A:$A,0)))
Copy B2 to C2, fill down as far as required. Cols B to C will return the
data corresponding to your staff ids from the source sheet x's cols B and C.
Adapt / extend to suit.
--
Max
Singapore